Monster Energy Honda Team set out to keep all options open and succeeded in the longest stage of the Atacama Rally. Kevin Benavides took the stage victory and overall leadership while Paulo Gonçalves will go into the final stage well-positioned to fight for a spot on the rostrum.
Monster Energy Honda Team’s Argentinean rider Kevin Benavides took top honours for the second time in the 2017 Atacama Rally. The fastest stage was, once again, a white knuckle, hazard-filled ride at full gas. Kevin was head and shoulders above the rest of the field, storming to the top of the leader board in the overall rankings with just a day’s racing left.
Team-mate Paulo Gonçalves set out from the camp in Mejillones this morning in second starting position. The Portuguese rider held a storming pace over the 375 kilometre trek to Iquique although he dropped precious time validating a waypoint in the latter stretches of the race. Paulo lies in fourth place overall.
Kevin and Paulo will both be looking for podium finishes when the race wraps up tomorrow. The end results will be battled out in the final stage held entirely in the dunes of Iquique.
- A review of the times last night moved Kevin Benavides to third place in the day’s standings instead of the fourth place initially awarded.
- 361 kilometres of coastal road separate Mejillones from Iquique, parallel to the Pacific Ocean, with the assistance vehicles taking Route 5 further inland.
- The fourth stage was the longest in the entire Atacama Rally 2017, with a total of 547.33 kilometres, of which 375 kilometres were against the clock in a very fast stage with long swathes of stony tracks and a final part in the sand dunes of Iquique.
- The start was again delayed for 1h05′ due to the appearance of the camanchaca mist which prevented the safety helicopter taking off.
- The final stretches of this fourth stage took place on the famous descent of the Iquique dunes, Los Verdes, which similarly had hosted a stage in the 2015 Dakar.
- The fifth and final stage will be held tomorrow in Iquique. The special stage will be a last chance for the favourites to confirm their positions and a final opportunity for the outsiders to improve their positions.
Stage 4 Results
|1||Benavides Kevin||ARG||Monster Energy Honda Team||Honda||3:52'56|
|2||Quintanilla Pablo||CHI||Husqvarna Factory Rally Team||Husqvarna||+2'48|
|3||Walkner Matthias||AUT||KTM Factory Racing Team||KTM||+3'13|
|4||Goncalves Paulo||POR||Monster Energy Honda Team||Honda||+4'03|
|5||Sunderland Sam||GBR||KTM Factory Racing Team||KTM||+4'39|
|6||Cornejo José Ignacio||CHI||Cornejo Rally Team||KTM||+9'10|
|7||Van Beveren Adrien||FRA||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+12'59|
|8||de Soultrait Xavier||FRA||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+20'28|
|9||Sanz Laia||SPA||KTM Factory Racing Team||KTM||+39'56|
Provisional Standings after Stage 4
|1||Benavides Kevin||ARG||Monster Energy Honda Team||Honda||11:18'05|
|2||Quintanilla Pablo||CHI||Husqvarna Factory Rally Team||Husqvarna||+0'02|
|3||Sunderland Sam||GBR||KTM Factory Racing Team||KTM||+11'31|
|4||Goncalves Paulo||POR||Monster Energy Honda Team||Honda||+11'34|
|5||Walkner Matthias||AUT||KTM Factory Racing Team||KTM||+16'11|
|6||de Soultrait Xavier||FRA||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+28'01|
|7||Van Beveren Adrien||FRA||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+42'40|
|8||Cornejo José Ignacio||CHI||Cornejo Rally Team||KTM||+43.25|
|9||Caimi Franco||ARG||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+1:15'13|
This is your invitation to live the Atacama Rally 2017, Third Round of the FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship and meeting of the CODASUR-FIA South American Cross-Country Rally Championship. The Atacama 2017 will be unique, traversing the immensity of the Atacama Desert, from the heart of the dunes in Copiapó City… read more.
Copiapó, Chile - View in Google Maps