The Atacama Rally heads north in Chile with a lightning-paced Kevin Benavides taking the triumph in the second stage. Paulo posted sixth spot.
The Atacama Rally left Copiapó bound for the north in a second stage affected by an accident involving French rider Pela Renet who had to be airlifted to safety by helicopter. For safety reasons the special stage was shortened to the neutralization zone, where the fastest competitor at that point had been Monster Energy Honda Team rider Kevin Benavides. The Argentinean rider thus reduces the gap with overall leader Quintanilla to just seven seconds.
Paulo Gonçalves, who set off sixth after receiving a somewhat dubious penalization, also finished the day in sixth place as well as occupying the same place in the general standings.
- This second stage of the Atacama Rally linked the towns of Copiapó and Tal Tal, more than three hundred kilometres away in the north of Chile on the Pacific coast.
- There were 308 kilometres of special timed stage in which the pilots encountered a variety of terrain types, predominantly fast track, but with some dunes earlier in the day.
- The start was delayed an hour and a half by the appearance of the camanchaca, the early morning mist typical in these regions.
- Due to the accident of Pela Renet, only the first part of the special was completed, until the neutralization section at kilometre 164.
- Tomorrow the Atacama Rally will pass its half-way point: the third stage will take the riders from Tal Tal to another coastal area: Mejillones. It will feature some 349 kilometres of timed special before arriving at the check point in La Negra.
Stage 2 Results
|1||Benavides Kevin||ARG||Monster Energy Honda Team||Honda||1:39'25|
|2||Sunderland Sam||GBR||KTM Factory Racing Team||KTM||+0'17|
|3||Caimi Franco||ARG||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+0'38|
|4||Quintanilla Pablo||CHI||Husqvarna Factory Rally Team||Husqvarna||+1'03|
|5||de Soultrait Xavier||FRA||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+1'39|
|6||Goncalves Paulo||POR||Monster Energy Honda Team||Honda||+2'11|
|7||Walkner Matthias||AUT||KTM Factory Racing Team||KTM||+2'28|
|8||Van Beveren Adrien||FRA||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+4'20|
|9||Cornejo José Ignacio 'Nacho'||CHI||Cornejo Rally Team||KTM||7'58|
|10||De Gavardo Tomás||CHI||De Gavardo Team||KTM||+27'17|
Provisional Standings after Stage 2
|1||Quintanilla Pablo||CHI||Husqvarna Factory Rally Team||Husqvarna||4:03'40|
|2||Benavides Kevin||ARG||Monster Energy Honda Team||Honda||+0'07|
|3||de Soultrait Xavier||FRA||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+3'54|
|4||Caimi Franco||ARG||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+6'12|
|5||Sunderland Sam||GBR||KTM Factory Racing Team||KTM||+6'15|
|6||Goncalves Paulo||POR||Monster Energy Honda Team||Honda||+8'43|
|7||Walkner Matthias||AUT||KTM Factory Racing Team||KTM||+11'36|
|8||Van Beveren Adrien||FRA||Yamaha Motor Europe||Yamaha||+13'27|
|9||Cornejo José Ignacio 'Nacho'||CHI||Cornejo Rally Team||KTM||+17'28|
The 2019 edition of the Atacama Rally will offer its competitors a high-level sports rally, challenging the incredible dunes of the Atacama Desert. An open challenge for all and especially for those competing for the third round of the FIM Cross-Country World Rally Championship in the category of motorcycles and… read more.
Copiapó, Chile - View in Google Maps